Sunday, December 26, 2010

I knew I wrote him!

Kent is a man who has been around my center for many many years. His attempts for sobriety have been sporadic, and even now, is not total, however, he has stopped smoking crack and, though still drinking, doing it less. A simple man, its sometimes difficult to talk to him, and I have frequently mistaken this as a reticence to talk to me, but over time, I think I understand him a little better, and our relationship has solidified into one of humor. He's quiet and self-conscious about his missing teeth, which prevents him from smiling broadly, so it usually takes him a little while before he feels comfortable saying something.
My agency organizes Christmas giveaway for our clients who usually fill out an anonymous form with shoe and clothing sizes for themselves and their children, as well as special toy requests. For our department's guys, since they don't have any place to store gifts, we ask for gift cards, and each counselor gives them to their clients. We also ask them to write a thank you note for the donor. I caught Kent on his way through my office to give him his. I said, "Santa came and left a gift for you." He said, "Did he? I knew I wrote him!"
This was such a quick response and one so witty that it still calls up a chuckle and was a good beginning to the holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment